YSU Interns Gain Experience at Area Nonprofits
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio — Ten Youngstown State University students are working internships across the region this summer as part of the 2015 Nonprofit Leadership Summer Honors Internship Program.
The Center for Nonprofit Leadership at YSU, housed in the Williamson College of Business Administration, was awarded a $50,020 grant from the Raymond John Wean Foundation to implement the program, which offers full-time, 12-week paid internships to 10 YSU students with career-related work experience in a nonprofit or public sector organization.
The program runs through Aug. 7. The internships are co-funded by the participating organizations.
The following students and organizations were selected:
- Akron Children’s Hospital Mahoning Valley hired Joey DeLisio, an undergraduate senior with a Communication Studies major, for the Marketing/Special Events/Fundraising Intern position.
- Habitat for Humanity of Northern Columbiana County hired Savannah Taylor, an undergraduate senior studying Business Administration and Nonprofit Leadership, for the Community Revitalization Intern position.
- Homes for Kids of Ohio hired Leah Ferraro, an undergraduate senior studying Marketing Management, for the Marketing Intern position.
- Junior Achievement hired Marcy Angelo, an undergraduate senior studying Business Administration and Nonprofit Leadership, for the I Can Save Program Intern position.
- Mahoning Valley Historical Society hired Kendal Malsch, a graduate student studying Teacher Education, for the Education Program Intern position.
- Mercy Health Foundation hired Lindsey Farran, an undergraduate senior studying Business Administration, for the Special Event/Marketing Intern position.
- Oh Wow! The Roger & Gloria Jones Children’s Center for Science & Technology hired Jena Bushong, an undergraduate senior studying Accounting, for the Special Event/Accounting Intern position.
- United Way of Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley hired Karli Rupert, a graduate student studying Social Work, for the Community School Initiative Intern position.
- Youngstown Area Jewish Federation hired Eric Haughey, an undergraduate senior studying Accounting, for the Accounting Intern position.
- YSU Center for Urban & Regional Studies hired Jordan Wolfe, an undergraduate Political Science major, for the Economic Development Intern position.
“This program aims to provide meaningful, career-related experience to YSU students, which in turn fosters and develops their leadership skills to serve as effective leaders in the public and nonprofit employment sectors upon graduation,” said Laura Dewberry, director, YSU Center for Nonprofit Leadership. “It also benefits the selected host organizations by building capacity over a 12-week period as students work on projects that help increase the impact made in the organizations’ important community work, thus, helping to achieve organizational excellence.”
For more information, contact Dewberry at 330-941-1870 or LJMcCaskey@ysu.edu.
Pictured: YSU students participating in the 2015 Nonprofit Leadership Summer Honors Internship Program are, left to right, front row, Jordan Wolfe, Leah Ferraro, Savannah Taylor, Marcy Angelo, Joey DeLisio; back row, Karli Rupert, Lindsey Farran, Jena Bushong, Eric Haughey, Kendal Malsch. They are pictured at the Habitat for Humanity work site in Salem.
SOURCE: YSU News Center.
Copyright 2017 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to our print edition and sign up to our free daily headlines.