Economic Development Outlook
Top 12 Economic Development Projects | Youngstown Market 2020
- GM, LG Chem Select Site for Joint Venture Battery Plant: LORDSTOWN, Ohio — General Motors Co. and LG Chem of South Korea plan to build their $2.3 billion joint venture battery cell plant on 158 acres owned by NP Lordstown 173 LLC off Hallock Young Road and Tod Avenue. January 14, 2020
- Mammoth Cracker Plant Presents Huge Opportunity: MONACA, Pa. – The enormous Royal Dutch Shell petrochemical complex taking shape along the Ohio River in Monaca, Pa., is quite a sight. Sprawled across the 386-acre site in Beaver County are multiple buildings from one-level units to structures several stories high – and construction cranes that reach into the sky. March 9, 2020
- America Makes Inks $322M Agreement with Air Force Lab: YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – America Makes has signed a new seven-year, $322 million cooperative agreement with the Air Force Research Laboratory. The cost-sharing and reimbursement agreement will support the Office of the Secretary of Defense’s Manufacturing Technology program. America Makes will directly support modernization priorities including hypersonics, cyber and artificial intelligence. December 3, 2019
- Lordstown Motors to Unveil Truck at Detroit Auto Show: DETROIT – Lordstown Motors Corp. will unveil its Endurance pickup truck at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit this summer. January 29, 2020
- Lordstown Approves Site Plan for $7M Old Dominion Project: LORDSTOWN, Ohio – The Lordstown Planning Commission gave provisional approval for the site plan for the proposed $7 million project at its meeting Monday night. Old Dominion plans to build the proposed 30,422-square-foot building at a 15 1/2-acre site at 7570 Tod Ave. S.W. The building would have 59 available loading docks. March 10, 2020
- TJX Pays $5.9M for Land to Build Distribution Center: LORDSTOWN, Ohio — Mayor Arno Hill said he expects “shovels in the ground” by the end of next month on a $170 million regional distribution center for a subsidiary of TJX Companies Inc. March 30, 2019
- R&L Carriers Eyes $20M Expansion in Columbiana: YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio — Pending a final vote from city council Tuesday, R&L Carriers looks to construct a $20 million expansion at its Heck Road shipping hub in Columbiana. February 27, 2020
- $80M Logistics Center Planned in Mercer County: HERMITAGE, Pa. – A developer that builds warehouses and fulfillment centers for the e-commerce industry plans to construct a 1 million-square-foot logistics center at Exit 15 of Interstate 80, a project that could be just the start of development at the site, a company executive said Thursday evening. September 27, 2019
- YSU and IBM Launch IT Skills and Apprenticeship Center: YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio — Youngstown State University and IBM today announced the launch of the YSU IT Workforce Accelerator designed to provide students and the local workforce with skills needed for high-tech jobs in the growing digital economy. November 13, 2019
- ExxonMobil Scouting Sites for Beaver County Cracker Plant: YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – The Pittsburgh Business Times reports ExxonMobil Corp. last week scouted locations in Beaver County, Pa., that could be suitable for construction of a petrochemical plant similar to the Royal Dutch Shell’s ethane cracker that’s taking shape near Monaca, Pa. October 27, 2019
- PTT’s Belmont County Cracker Project Grows to Size of Shell Plant: YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – The petrochemical plant PTT Global Chemical of Thailand says it hopes to build in Belmont County would be twice the size of what it first proposed in 2015. Not only that, it would produce nearly as much ethylene as the ethane cracker plant Royal Dutch Shell is building in Beaver County, Pa. March 13, 2018
- SMART2 Planners Preview Fifth Avenue Upgrades: YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – A coalition led by Eastgate Regional Council of Governments, the area metropolitan planning agency, is in the final stages of completing an application for a grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation Build program — Better Utilizing Investments to Leverage Development. July 6, 2018
Pictured: The Business Journal dispatched a drone Feb. 26 to photograph construction at the Shell plant site.
Copyright 2020 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.