- This event has passed.
8th Annual Polar Bear Plunge
March 10 @ 9:30 am - 8:00 pm
Every day Camp Fitch YMCA helps to build the kind of leaders the world needs.
On March 10th the Camp Fitch Bunch will join forces at our 8th Annual Polar Bear Plunge to raise funds that will provide a Fitch experience for families who need our help the most. Whether temporary or long term, many families face roadblocks that would otherwise stop their children from having this crucial growth experience. It is our goal to provide Fitch for All, regardless of those circumstances.
Polar Bear Because We Care
Join a stalwart band of people who are passionate about the power that a week of summer camp has on kids: to develop their resilience and emotional intelligence, but also to grant them access to a community of love and acceptance. The 8th Annual Polar Bear Plunge at Camp Fitch will be a lot things — crazy, exhilarating, and a ton of fun — but the primary outcome is to pave the road for kids to get a week-long summer camp experience who face many roadblocks that would otherwise stop them from having this crucial growth experience.
The schedule of events on Plunge Day — March 10th, 2018 — at Camp Fitch is:
- 9:45 am: Brunch in the Big Dining Hall
- 11:00 am: Games and crafts for kids
- 12:00 pm: Rubber Duck Regatta on the banks of Crooked Creek
- 2:00 pm: The Plunge on the shores of Lake Erie
- 2:45 pm: Post-Plunge Party in the Big Dining Hall
- 3:30 pm: Awards Ceremony
- 6:00 pm: Euchre Tournament, Camp Fire, Jam Session in the Little Dining Hall
We welcome plungers of all ages: our youngest plunger is 7, and we’ve had plungers over 70 fundraise and Take a Dunk to Fill a Bunk. The metaphor is apt: jumping into frigid water takes a lot of courage and faith — just like coming to summer camp where you don’t know anyone. Just as plungers report the event as being exhilarating, and even cleansing, the kids who receive the gift of camp also describe their experience similarly: the deep thrill of making a close friendship, the satisfaction of overcoming fears and seeing themselves as stronger, more capable.
If campaigning and plunging aren’t in your plans this year, please consider backing a plunger and coming to the event on the afternoon of March 10th. Hundreds of supporters turn out to have great meal, a rubber duck regatta in Crooked Creek with fabulous prizes, and enjoy the last of winter’s grip.
It’s all for the kids: our goal at Fitch is to get 372 kids here who, without our donors, would never get the experience or the growth. We’d love for you to join us in this initiative.
How You Can Help!
We’re so grateful for the support that so many of you have already shown for this event! We have 95 registered plungers and have donations rolling in every day! We would love to have you join us (or continue to support) in one or more of the following ways:
1. Come to the Plunge! We love spectators and have planned a full day of family friendly fun! We’ll be offering a sneak peak of some of our new summer activities, tours of camp and our ever popular Rubber Duck Regatta!
2. Back a Plunger! Feeling like a dip in the icy waters is not your thing? No problem! We’ll love you just as much if you help another Plunger to reach their goal. You can pick your favorite campaigner here! Our Plungers range in age from 7-75 and include current staff, alumni, spouses, fiancees, friends of friends and even some current campers!
4. Be a Plunger! It’s not too late! Most of the fundraising action happens in the last few days before the Plunge! Raise $100 (or more) to become a part of our intrepid crew. Register here and create your own Plunge Page. Then share the link in your social network and ask your friends and family to support your efforts to send deserving kids to camp!
5. Give yourself a pat on the back for being a change maker! You’re awesome!
Please let us know if you have questions or would like more information. Hope to see you at the Plunge!
Copyright 2018 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to our print edition and sign up to our free daily headlines.