Strimbu Fund Awards $37K in Scholarships
BROOKFIELD, Ohio – Although the annual Strimbu Bar-B-Que was canceled this year due to the coronavirus, the Strimbu Memorial Fund’s directors still carried on in awarding scholarships to local high school seniors.
In total, $37,000 was awarded to 14 students from northeastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania. Taking home the top $10,000 scholarship, provided by Steel Dynamics was Justin Stanek of Sharon High School.
“The Strimbu Memorial Fund was created to perpetuate the work of the late Nick Strimbu Jr., who had a passion for leading individuals and economic development agencies in order to attract, assist and retain the industrial base of the valley,” said Board President Jim Grasso. “Although we had to reschedule this year’s event because of the coronavirus, the board of directors felt that it was so very important to continue our mission of assisting area students with a scholarship.”
The students receiving $2,000 scholarships, as well as the scholarship sponsors are:
- Emma Deraway, Badger High School, Miller Livestock and Peter Allen Inn
- Brady Reichart, Brookfield High School Kirila Family Fund
- Melvin Hobson Jr., Farrell High School, Aim Nationalease
- Lauren DiBucci, Greenville High School, Chubb
- Molly Piso, Hickory High School, Matune/Basile
- Cameron Resatar, Hubbard High School, Truck World
- Farrah Mancino, Kennedy Catholic High School, National Interstate
- Douglas Gurdak, Lakeview High School, Toyota of Warren
- Amanda Franko, Mathews High School, Governor Insurance
- James Shafer, Reynolds High School, Reynolds Services
- Wyatt Caldwell, Sharpsville High School, Grandy Family
- Ashley Lyle, Warren John F. Kennedy High School, HUB
- Braden Hanahan, West Middlesex High School, Primary Health Network
The 31st annual Strimbu Memorial Fund Bar-B-Que will be held May 5, 2021, at the Yankee Lake Ballroom.
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.