Turning Foundation Awards $52K to Area Teachers
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – The Turning Foundation, in conjunction with the Raymond John Wean Foundation and the Eastern Ohio Education Partnership, has announced 17 teachers as the recipients of its 2016 Innovative Mini Grant program.
A total of $52,096 was award to the teachers in northeastern Ohio for “sharing new and creative classroom practices supporting 21st century teaching and learning,” said Turning Foundation Director John Wilson in a release.
Among the winning projects were using a 3-D printer to combine career readiness programs with math, technology and creativeness, creating a makerspace to held students conduct research and teaching student hos to use computer coding to solve problems.
“I’m passionate about education and to read the many thoughtful and innovative ways of incorporating technology in the classroom was incredible. I applaud the teachers who participated and put such energy into supporting and sharing their classroom dreams,” Wilson continued.
The grant awards ranged from $2,000 for individual teachers to $5,000 to projects that included multiple teachers and organizations.
“The program begot just what we intended: innovative grants, new partnerships and an alignment of strategies,” Wilson said. “I’m excited about the possibilities of what these projects will produce.”
The winning teachers are:
- Linda Holler, Saint John School, Ashtabula Catholic Diocese
- Tracy Archuleta, Jefferson Senior High School
- Sarah Lowe, Beaver Local Middle School
- Michelle Rhodes, Beaver Local Elementary and High School
- Kathy Bennett, Crestview High School
- Mark Robinson, Youngstown Early College
- Stephanie Greathouse, Chaney High School
- Jordan Moxley, Maplewood High School
- Jill Redmond, McGuffey PK-8, Warren
- Dave Nelson, McGuffey PK-8
- Heather Eich McGuffey PK-8
- Brianna Cohen, Jefferson PK-8, Warren
- Marian Mihas, Jefferson PK-8
- Alexis Williams, Jefferson PK-8
- Carole Goffus, Willard PK-8, Warren
- Eugene Mach II, Warren G. Harding High School
- Patricia Fisher, Warren City Schools
Copyright 2017 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to our print edition and sign up to our free daily headlines.