17 YSU Freshman Named Navarro Executive Fellows
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – Seventeen Youngstown State University freshmen are mentoring with senior campus leaders and gaining work experience as members of the inaugural class of Navarro Executive Fellows.
The program, offered for the first time this fall and designed for minority students, is named in honor of philanthropists Shorty and Elba Navarro who this year donated $1 million to fund scholarships and campus jobs for students.
The fellows spend up to 15 hours a week with their appointed YSU mentors for a two-year period. The mentors provide insight and networking as well as help the students set goals and stay on track academically, professionally and personally.
Students eligible for the program must be incoming freshmen who are African American/Black, Latino/Latina/Hispanic, Asian/Pacific Islander or Native American/Indian.
For more information or to apply for the program, call the Division of Multicultural Affairs at 330 941 3370.
Students named to the first class of Navarro Executive Fellows and their YSU mentors are:
- Ashley Bennett of East Liverpool, Ohio – mentor, Shannon Tirone, associate vice president, University Relations.
- Kathryn Biller of Mt. Pleasant, Pa. – mentor, Betty Jo Licata, dean, Williamson College of Business Administration
- Antwanaijah Burgess of Campbell, Ohio – mentor, Holly Jacobs, vice president, Legal/Human Resources.
- Stantia Cox of Warrensville Heights, Ohio – mentor, Joe Mosca, dean, Bitonte College of Health and Human Services.
- Elijah Foose of Youngstown – mentor, Charlie Howell, dean, Beeghly College of Education.
- Melik Hampton of Toledo, Ohio – mentor, Gary Swegan, associate vice president, Enrollment Management.
- Jasmine Harper of Youngstown, Ohio – mentor, Neal McNally, vice president, Finance and Business Operations.
- Krislynn Jones of Clairton, Pa. – mentor, Martin Abraham, provost, vice president, Academic Affairs.
- Clinton Nwabuogu of Jefferson Hills, Pa. – mentor, Mike Hripko, associate vice president, Research.
- Shakayla Poole of Youngstown – mentor, Eddie Howard, associate vice president, Student Experience.
- Ciara Rosario of Youngstown – mentor, Phyllis Paul, dean, College of Creative Arts and Communications.
- Sabrea Sales of Akron – mentor, Mike Reagle, associate vice president, Student Success.
- Jasmine Smyles of Chicago – mentor, Amy Cossentino, dean, Honors College.
- E’Dazjia Solomon-Green of McKeesport, Pa. – mentor, Wim Steelant, dean, College of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
- Vincent Trevino of Sebring, Ohio – mentor, Sylvia J. Imler, associate vice president, Multicultural Affairs.
- Myia Wade of Warren, Ohio – mentor, Sal Sanders, dean, College of Graduate Studies.
- Malantey Wyatt of Cleveland, Ohio – mentor, Kristine Blair, dean, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences.
Copyright 2023 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.