America Makes Announces Winners of $3.2M Project Call
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – The National Center for Defense Manufacturing and Machining and America Makes on Monday announced the winners of a project call worth $3.2 million.
The Demonstration of Novel Methods for Effective AM Process Qualification/Re-Qualification – Delta Qualification directed project call is funded by the Air Force Research Laboratory.
The chosen Delta Qual project teams will create a qualified additive manufacturing process that offers rapid and affordable flexibility in crucial processes, post-processing and material feedstock variables, while efficiently validating a qualified additive manufacturing material through statistical analysis, a news release states.
“We are excited to announce and celebrate the winners of this project call,” said Brandon Ribic, technology director at America Makes. “Our membership and their collaborative partners consistently impress us with their ability to find dynamic solutions. These cutting-edge industry leaders, researchers and developers are revolutionizing additive technology and propelling it forward as the future of manufacturing. We have full confidence in their ability to devise optimal solutions to overcome the qualification/requalification challenges that slow the expansion of this innovative industry.”
Here are the winners and related topics/projects:
Topic 1: Major Delta Qualification Demonstration
Project 1: Applying Machining Learning to Enable Effective Additive Manufacturing Process Qualification/Re-Qualification.
- Team Lead: Senvol.
- Project Team: 3Degrees, AoZora Additive, ATI, Battelle, Boeing, Element Materials Technologies, National Institute of Aviation Research, Pilgrim Consulting and Strong Analytics.
Project 2: Model Enabled Delta-Qual.
- Team Lead: RTX (Raytheon).
- Project Team: Collins Aerospace Applied Research & Technology, Colorado School of Mines, Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence and Sentient Science Corp.
Project 3: Rapid Qualification Pathway for Metal Additive Manufacturing using Laser Powder Bed Fusion for Critical Applications.
- Team Lead: EOS.
- Project Team: The Ohio State University.
Topic 2: Minor Delta Qualification
Project 1: Fatigue Allowable Curves and Effects of Texture and Thickness.
- Team Lead: RTX Technology Research Center.
- Project Team: Collins Aerospace Applied Research & Technology, Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence, Sentient Science Corp.
Project 2: Demonstration of Novel Methods for Effective AM Process Qualification/Re-qualification.
- Team Lead: Honeywell Aerospace.
- Project Team: Macy Consulting Inc.
Topic 3: Red Team
Project 1: Thorough Evaluation of AM with Rigorous Expertise and Data.
- Team Lead: The Barnes Global Advisors.
- Project Team: Blue Forge Alliance, Carnegie Mellon University, NASA and SAE International.
The projects are expected to be completed in September 2025, with data available to America Makes members.
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.