• For every $100 you spend at locally owned businesses, $68 stays in the community. What happens when you spend that same $100 at a national chain? Only $43 stays in the community.
• You create local jobs. Local businesses are better at creating higher-paying jobs for your neighbors.
• You help the environment. Buying from a locally owned business conserves energy and resources in the form of less fuel for transportation and less packaging.
• You nurture community. Studies have shown that local businesses donate to community causes at more than twice the rate of national chains.
• You conserve your tax dollars. Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money available to beautify your community. Spending locally instead of online ensures that your sales taxes are reinvested where they belong – in your community.
2020 Holiday Sales Outlook Down Slightly
American consumers plan to spend an average of $997.79 on gifts, holiday items such as decorations and food, and additional “non-gift” purchases for themselves and their families, according to the annual survey by the National Retail Federation and Prosper Insights & Analytics.
While overall spending in these categories is down by about $50 from last year, nearly all ($45) of the decrease comes from hesitation to use seasonal sales and promotions to buy other, non-gift purchases for themselves and their families.
Still, consumer spending on gifts is on par with last year, decreasing by only about $8, while per person spending on other holiday items like decorations is up slightly.
The majority (60%) of consumers say they plan to purchase holiday items online this year. Nearly all (91%) online shoppers plan to take advantage of free shipping.
Pictured: Gifted at Applegate, 36 N. Sharpsville Ave. in Sharon, Pa., is an “eclectic” gift shop, says owner Jen Krezeczowski. Items include “fun things that can lighten your day and make you laugh.” The shop also sells original artwork, clothing accessories and home decor. The inventory is available online. Shipping and curbside service are available