Canfield Fair Will Increase Security This Year
CANFIELD, Ohio – The Canfield Fair will beef up security this year to avoid a repeat of the violence that marred the event last year.
Bob Jarvis, president of the fair’s board of directors, said special measures have been devised for this year’s event. He would not reveal the nature of the security, implying that’s the best way to make it most effective.
“You wouldn’t tell anybody else when you’re securing your own home, would you?” Jarvis said. “We’re not going to share [the plan]. But we are meeting consistently with the sheriff’s department. We had many meetings with them, and they are working hard to make sure this is a safe and secure fair, and it will be.”
Jarvis did say that – at least for now – the security plan does not entail requiring visitors to go through metal detectors at the gates. “But I cannot confirm or deny anything else at this point.”
Gunshots rang out at last year’s fair after a fight broke out around 10 p.m. Sept. 4 between up to 100 teenagers and young people.
The gunshots were reported in the area around Gate C. A 15-year-old male was found in possession of a handgun and arrested.
After the incident, the police presence was increased for the remaining two days of the fair, which were without incident.
Pictured at top: Bob Jarvis, president of the Canfield Fair’s board of directors.
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.