Construction Camp for Girls Builds Confidence
CANFIELD, Ohio — Pre-teen and teenage were given a chance to explore the construction industry and the opportunities it has to offer.
The Mahoning County Career and Technical Center is the site for this week’s inaugural Northeast Ohio Let’s Build Construction Camp for Girls. The camp began Monday and ends Friday.
The Let’s Build Construction Camp for Girls is a program designed for middle school and high school-age girls ages 12 through 16. The free, week-long camp gives girls a chance to explore architecture, engineering and construction through hands-on experiences.
The camp aims to:
- Provide girls an opportunity to explore a career in the construction industry in a gender-neutral environment.
- Learn basic design/drafting, engineering, and hands-on learning of the construction trades.
- Develop greater self-esteem through problem solving skills.
- Provide inspiration and mentorship for girls to understand opportunities in the construction industry, and how they can become successful leaders.
- Develop a stronger workforce for the future of the construction industry.
Camp Organizer Shelly Higgins says the Architectural Engineering and Construction Industry gives girls several career options.
“The AEC industry has come together to introduce young ladies to an industry that has so many opportunities,” Higgins says. “Whether they go to college or not, they can find a great career to enjoy and be proud of. For those who like technology, they will experience technology firsthand. Almost any career you want to do, can be done in the AEC industry. After camp, they will know they have choices. They will be proud of what they will accomplish.”
Copyright 2022 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.