Flashback Minis: The Warner Theater
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio– The painting featured in this video is on display at Arms Family Museum in Youngstown. It was created by Jim Holland and depicts the Warner Theater Lobby as it was in the 1940s. The representation is based on photos and Holland’s own memories of attending the theater as a young man.
Now known as the Deyor Performing Arts Center, The Warner Theater was built in 1931 and designed by C. W. & George L. Rapp, architects based in Chicago and New York. It was a memorial to the Warner Brothers’
deceased brother, Sam.
In 1968, as the popularity of downtown theaters declined, the Warner closed and was slated for demolition. Edward W. and Alice Resch Powers donated money to purchase the theater for the Youngstown Symphony Society, who renamed it Powers Auditorium.
Copyright 2024 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.