Huntington Publishes Environmental, Social and Governance Report
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Major commitments to urban investment, good governance, environmental sustainability and workplace diversity are highlighted in Huntington Bancshares Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) report, which was released on May 5. This is the first report to quantify Huntington’s social responsibility efforts.
The 2016 report highlights Huntington’s environmental impact, socially responsible efforts with colleagues, customers and communities and standards of governance.
Huntington is also advancing a three-year plan in 2017 to advance its core ESG business model. Progress reports will be published annually to track current initiatives and progress towards goals.
“Doing the right thing for all of our constituents is engrained in our culture at Huntington,” said Steve Steinour, chairman, president and CEO. “Our initial ESG Report will ensure our stakeholders have clear visibility into what we’re doing, what we’ve already accomplished and where we’re going as a company.”
Economic Mobility and Strong Neighborhood highlights
- $126 million invested in affordable housing in low-income neighborhoods
- $25 million invested in comprehensive economic development in Flint, Mich.
- $6 million in closing costs waived for low-income borrowers in the Midwest
- Huntington improved its Carbon Disclosure Project score to an average rating in 2016.
- The company increased paperless statement adoption among consumer and business customers to more than 66% in 2016.
- Goals established for 2017 include incandescent lighting elimination and ongoing annual energy reduction of at least 2%.
- Huntington’s 2016 workforce was 68% diverse by ethnicity or gender.
- The company’s 2016 vendor spending with diverse business enterprises exceeded 16%.
- Huntington donated $7.5 million to community organizations and Huntington colleagues logged more than 24,528 volunteer hours in 2016.
- The company announced its $16.1 billion, five-year community development plan in May.
- D. Power, Money Magazine, Kantar TNS, Greenwich Associates and Bain & Company all recognized Huntington for customer service excellence in 2016.
- Huntington formed a Corporate ESG Committee with accountability to the Board of Directors Nominating and Governance Committee.
- The ESG Report compiles the company’s transparency statements and policies.
- Key workforce ethics trainings are listed.
Copyright 2018 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to our print edition and sign up to our free daily headlines.