Lisbon Meets Lisbon: Art Show Puts Two Cities in the Frame
LISBON, Ohio – A unique art exhibition featuring works depicting Lisbon and its namesake city in Portugal will open Friday, Sept. 16, at Source Gallery, 40 N. Park Ave., downtown, with an artists’ reception at 5 p.m.
It will complement the annual Johnny Appleseed Festival, which opens the next day.
The exhibition, which will run through Oct. 21, has long been a goal of Mark Hamilton, who opened Source Gallery in January.
“Since opening Source Gallery, I have been wanting to highlight local Lisbon art and artists in a special show,” he said.
The idea for the 55-piece exhibition, titled “Lisbon Meets Lisbon,” arose during the gallery’s recent opportunity to represent the works of conceptual Kurdish artist Ilos Ilyas Elias Kirkan, an abstract painter from Lisbon, Portugal.
“He is a friend of mine and we came up with the collaborative idea to create a showcase of art from or about the two cities of Lisbon, highlighting art and artists who have captured the beauty, charm, and history that is Lisbon – both our local historic Lisbon, Ohio, and our namesake city of Lisbon, Portugal.”
Hamilton curated the show, which will share the vision of local artists in highlighting “the charm, history and beauty” of Lisbon. It will include “a few surprises” on the theme of the Portuguese capital as well from artist Kathleen Gray Farthing, who plein air painted there earlier this year, Hamilton said.
All of the artists in the upcoming show are local or natives of Lisbon, Ohio, with the exception of Kirkan and Kathleen Gray Farthing, who is from Alliance.
The works primarily depict the Columbiana County city, Hamilton said.
“I would like to make this a recurring show at some point,” he said. “I like the concept. I tried to focus on Lisbon, Ohio, and add a bit of Lisbon, Portugal, for fun.”
All works are available for purchase. Click here for information. Works from the following artists will be included:
- Alfred Wands (1904-1998), Denver, CO; printmaking, (1940s).
- Astrid Adrian Domenack, Lisbon, Ohio, crochet fiber art.
- Bob Bye, Lisbon, Ohio, landscape painting.
- Craig Wetzel, East Liverpool, watercolor/pen and ink.
- Dave McCamon, Lisbon, Ohio, printmaking (1994)
- Diane Marie Beatty, Campbell, photography.
- Ilos Ilyas Elias Kirkan, Lisbon, Portugal, abstract painting.
- Jack Amato Jr, Lisbon, Ohio, coppersmith jewelry.
- Kathleen Gray Farthing, Alliance, Ohio, plein air paintings.
- Matt Doyle, originally from Lisbon, Ohio, metal sculpture.
- Nancy Hawkins, Columbiana, plein air painting.
- Nick Baronzzi, Lisbon, Ohio, photography.
- Rebecca Hawkins, Columbiana, plain air painting.
- Shari Fry, Columbiana, plein air painting.
- Sheri Liebshner, East Liverpool, plein air painting.
- Stephan Belaney, Lisbon, Ohio, painting and prints.
- Steven Leahy, Beloit, miniature airbrush painting.
- Tom McKenna, Lisbon, Ohio, painting.
- Zac Strong, Lisbon, Ohio, metal sculpture.
Copyright 2023 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.