Mill Creek MetroParks Acquires 161-Acre Marsh

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio — Mill Creek MetroParks has acquired the 161-acre Hawkins Marsh in Smith Township.

The $1.14 million purchase, largely funded by a grant from the Clean Ohio Conservation Fund, brings the MetroParks’ total land above 5,000 acres, and expand its presence into another previously underserved area of Mahoning County, according to a press release from the park system.

The newly acquired parcel, on West Western Reserve Road, consists of a variety of unique natural habitats including critically important wetlands, the press release states.

The MetroParks partnered with West Creek Conservancy in the acquisition of the property.

The Clean Ohio Conservation Fund provided 74%, or $843,800, of the $1,143,530 total project cost, with the remaining 26%, or $299,730, in the form of a bargain sale. 

Future improvements are planned for the property, which – due to parameters associated with the Clean Ohio Conservation Fund Program – will be limited to passive recreation opportunities, the press release states. 

“Once again, we are thrilled to be able to announce this most recent acquisition thanks to the dedicated efforts of MetroParks staff, our partners at West Creek Conservancy and financial support from the Clean Ohio Conservation Fund,” said Aaron Young, executive director of the park system. “The acquisition of this unique property is another step forward in the mission of the MetroParks serving the needs of all of Mahoning County.” 

Pictured: Hawkins Marsh in Smith Township

Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.