NEOMED to Pursue Dentistry College
ROOTSTOWN, Ohio — Northeast Ohio Medical University is moving forward with plans to pursue a college of dentistry after presenting a needs assessment to the NEOMED board of trustees during their quarterly meeting.
The board granted approval for the college, which NEOMED says will take about $25 million to successfully launch. The medical school anticipates receiving $1 million from the state of Ohio to put toward the new college.
“According to the ADA, many patients have limited access to dental treatment due to a variety issues such as socioeconomic status, education and limited access to care; an emergency room visit may be their only option,” said John T. Langell, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H., M.B.A., president of NEOMED.
“In Ohio, 77 out of 88 counties are considered HPSAs regarding dental care.”
To ensure the college not only improves access to dental care in areas of greatest need, but also improves the overall health in the state, NEOMED has created an advisory council to assist the college with integrating dental care into primary care.
Council members include:
- Frank Beck, D.D.S, program director, GPR Dental Residency Program, Mercy Health — St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital, External Advisory Council chair
- Linda Burmeister, manager dental services, Cleveland Clinic Mercy Hospital
- Joanne Emery, M.P.A., B.S.N., director of nursing, Summit County Public Health
- Bob Fulton, D.D.S., clinical assistant professor of Internal Medicine at NEOMED
- Paul S. Homick Jr., J.D., president, Mercy Health Foundation Mahoning Valley
- Terence Kelly, M.D. (’18), D.D.S.
- Susan Lawson, director of oral health services, Ohio Association of Community Health Centers
- William Leffler, D.D.S., J.D., owner, Leffler Family Dentistry
- Sarah Mikhail, B.D.S., Mercy Health — St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital
- Donald Morgan, D.D.S., Cleveland Dental Institute
- Marybeth Shaffer, D.M.D., Mercy Health — St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital
- Donna Skoda, RN, director, Summit County Department of Public Health
- Rajiv Taneja, D.M.D., president, Youngstown Dental Association
- Andrew Wojtkowski, D.D.S., Cleveland Clinic Mercy Hospital
- Ted Wymyslo, M.D., retired senior medical advisor, Ohio Association of Community Health Centers
- Robert A Zavodny, D.D.S., Summa Health
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.