Public Can See New DeBartolo Commons at Mall at Celebratory Event
BOARDMAN, Ohio – The new DeBartolo Commons development at Southern Park Mall will open Saturday, Oct. 23, with a community day celebration from noon to 8 p.m.
DeBartolo Commons is the entertainment and athletic complex that is being built on the south end of the mall in space formerly occupied by Sears. It includes Double Bogey’s Bar & Grill, The Bunker, Steel Valley Brew Works, outdoor green space and athletic fields, and an amphitheater for live events.
During the community day, the public can enjoy free outdoor activities for the entire family, including live music, a petting zoo and pony rides.
Community Day will open with a performance by the Boardman High School marching band. The event will include:
- Bounce houses and yard games, Boardman police and fire department meet and greets and Touch A Truck, rock wall climbing, a selfie station provided by The Selfie Space, and Shelby’s Sugar Shop and Youngstown Clothing Co. pop-up shops
- Stilt walkers and bubble artists, and complimentary train rides provided by All Smiles Aboard! from noon to 5 p.m.
- Pony rides and a petting zoo, face painting and strolling princesses and superheroes from noon to 4 p.m.
- Pumpkin painting led by Southern Park Mall’s The Art Café beginning at 1 p.m. for the first 100 children
- Caricature artist from 2 to 6 p.m.
Musical act The Syndicate will take the stage from 4:30 to 6 p.m. and 80s Proof will conclude the evening, performing from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Throughout the day, food and beverages will be available for purchase from a variety of food trucks, including DeChellis Concessions, Le Macaron, Molnar’s Concessions, OH Donut, Ye Olde Kettle Corn and more.
The Beer Garden opens at 4:30 p.m. and guests ages 21 and over can choose from a variety of beers, wine and seltzers to purchase. All proceeds from the sale of alcohol will benefit The Sojourner House Domestic Violence Program.
To further support The Sojourner House mission, guests are encouraged to bring a toiletry item or cleaning product to donate.
Brian Gabbert, general manager of the mall, said this year’s third annual community day is special because it marks the opening of DeBartolo Commons.
“The community has been eagerly awaiting this athletic and entertainment green space and event venue for over two years, and we are thrilled to welcome our guests to explore all that DeBartolo Commons has to offer,” Gabbert said.
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.