Summer Festival of the Arts Returns This Weekend
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – The Summer Festival of the Arts will return this weekend to celebrate the region’s creativity and culture in the heart of downtown.
Now in its 25th year, the event takes place Saturday and Sunday, July 8 and 9, at Wean Park. It promises art, entertainment, food and family-friendly activities. Admission is free.
The heart of the festival is the array of dozens of booths where regional and national artists and artisans will display and sell their work.
The artists, who are selected by a curator, offer everything from handmade jewelry and decor to paintings.
Family-friendly entertainment is emphasized at the festival, which runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. Plenty of parking is available in the nearby area.
A children’s entertainment tent, sponsored by the city of Youngstown, will host performances ranging from puppet shows and magicians to live music. The tent will also provide an interactive space for young artists to work on art projects.
While the SFA has become a tradition in the city, so have the neighboring festivals and events that have sprung up around it.
After the festival closes Saturday, guests can remain downtown for the Wine and Jazz Fest at the neighboring Youngstown Foundation Amphitheatre. Tickets are $25 and $10.
The St. Nick’s Greek Orthodox Church Summer Festival, 220 N. Walnut St., will also carry on into the evening both nights. Admission is free.
The Wine and Jazz Fest will start at 7 p.m. Saturday, and will feature a concert by Alexander Zonjic, Jessy J and Canfield’s James Lloyd.
The St. Nick’s festival offers Greek food, music and culture. It runs July 6-9. Hours are 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday; 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday; and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday. To place food orders for pickup, call 330 720 1003 or order online HERE.
Here is a schedule of performances at the Summer Festival of the Arts:
- 10 to 11 a.m.: Youngstown Symphony Orchestra string quartet.
- 11 a.m. to noon: Youngstown Community Band.
- Noon to 2 p.m.: Negative Zen.
- 2 to 4 p.m.: John Reese Trio.
- 4 to 5 p.m.: Opera Western Reserve.
- 10 to 10:30 a.m.: YourArts youth showcase.
- 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.: Millennial Theatre Company.
- 11:30 a.m. to noon: Hopewell Theatre.
- 12:15 to 1 p.m.: Youngstown Area Community Band “petting zoo.”
- 1:15 to 2 p.m.: Ballet Western Reserve.
- 2:15 to 3 p.m.: Chief Davis, ventriloquist.
- 3:15 to 3:45 p.m.: Mike Griffin, magician.
- 4 to 4:30 p.m.: Frozen princess, with singing.
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: County Mayo.
- 1 to 3 p.m.: Erie Heights Brass Ensemble.
- 3 to 4 p.m.: 4 Quarters.
- 11 to 11:30 a.m.: Millennial Theatre Company.
- 11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.: Mike McGriffin, magician.
- 12:30 to 1:15 p.m.: JCC Moovin and Groovin class.
- 1:30 to 2 p.m.: Little Mermaid.
- 3:15 to 4 p.m.: Komora Outdoors.
Pictured at top: Folks stroll through Wean Park at last year’s Summer Festival of the Arts.
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.