The Update | Tamburitzans Coming to Ford Hall; ‘Kiss the Moon’ Auditions
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – The Tamburitzans folk and dance ensemble will come to Ford Family Recital Hall at the DeYor Performing Arts Center, downtown, at 3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 22.
Tickets will go on sale at 10 a.m. Friday, July 21, at experienceyourarts.org and at the DeYor box office.
The Tamburitzans perform a variety of folk dance and music representing international cultures. Founded over 80 years ago, the ensemble is known for its elaborate costumes and talented performers.
Tra’s Food Truck at Local Festivals
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – Tra’s Gourmet Sandwiches food truck will be at three major festivals in coming weeks, including:
- July 19-22: Mount Carmel Society Italian Fest, Lowellville.
- July 28-30: Campbell Summer Festival at Roosevelt Park.
- Aug. 3-6: Greater Youngstown Italian Festival, downtown.
Tra’s menu includes burgers, chicken and waffle sandwiches, loaded waffle fries, a jalapeno cheddar grilled cheese and more.
Selah Theater Sets ‘Kiss the Moon’ Auditions
STRUTHERS, Ohio – Auditions for Selah Dessert Theater’s season opener, “Kiss the Moon, Kiss the Sun,” will take place by appointment only on July 17 and 19 from 4 to 8 p.m., and July 22 from 1 to 4 p.m.
All roles are open. To schedule an appointment, contact director Mary R. Lynn via Facebook Messenger or call 330 554 2648.
“Kiss the Moon” is a heartwarming story by playwright Norm Foster about family, love and the courage to make the right choices. Performances are Sept. 21-23 and 29-30 and Oct. 6-7.
The director is seeking actors for these roles:
- Robert, age 35 but with a mental age of 7 or 8. His childlike innocence leads to many humorous moments.
- Claire, age 55 to 70. Robert’s mother, who is dealing with cancer and heart disease. She is anxious about what will happen to Robert after she is gone.
- Holly, age 25 to 30. Not the most responsible person. She has a teaching degree but no teaching job. She is dating a college professor and is carrying his child.
- Robert Simon, age 40 to 50. College professor who is dating Holly and divorcing his wife. He does not want the responsibility of a child and family.
- Doctor, any age over 40. Can be played by a male or female.
Veterans Art Exhibit Seeks Entries
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio Department of Veterans Services’ 2023 art exhibition will take place Oct. 23 to Dec. 8 in the first-floor lobby of the Vern Riffe Center for Government and the Arts.
Ohio’s active duty and veteran artists, with varying levels of expertise, are invited to showcase their artistic talents for this wide-ranging and public event. Artwork does not necessarily need to depict aspects of military service.
A panel of jurors will review all submissions. For more submission guidelines and to submit artwork, click HERE.
Rockers Aim to Set Record for Concerts
KENT, Ohio – Rock ’n’ roll recording artists and globe-trotting journeymen Devon Allman and Donavon Frankenreiter are hoping to make history in 2023. The longtime friends will attempt to set the world record for fastest time to play a concert in each of the 50 states, which is currently 50 in 50 days set in 2003.
Allman and Frankenreiter are attempting to do it in 49 days.
Their tour includes an Aug. 25 show at Kent Stage.
The artists released a collaborative EP, “Rollers,” in June that serves as the soundtrack for their tour. Produced by Luther Dickinson of the North Mississippi Allstars and available via Allman’s Create Records, it features the previously released singles “Calling All You Riders” and “See It All,” as well as a guest appearance from Maggie Rose on the new track “We Belong.”
The Kent Stage is at 175 E. Main St. For tickets, click HERE.
Pictured at top: The Tamburitzans will come to Ford Family Recital Hall in October.
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.