Warren Businessman to Host Arcade Expo in Chicago
WARREN, Ohio — Rob Berk, owner of Berk Enterprises Inc. based here, is hosting a classic video-game contest and an air hockey challenge at the inaugural Arcade, Video & Game Room Expo set for Aug. 25 through 27 in Chicago.
Berk is the founder of Pinball Expo, the first and longest-running vintage pinball exposition in the United States. His new event will be held at the Crowne Plaza Chicago O’Hare Hotel & Conference Center, 5440 North River Road, Rosemont, Ill.
“We are planning an exciting and fun-filled weekend for video gamers, collectors and enthusiasts,” Berk said in a news release.
Berk is known for his collection of pinball games. He has a collection of more than 500 games “from the 30’s to the 90’s,” he writes in a post on PinballExpo.net.
At the Arcade, Video & Game Room Expo, attendees can compete for the highest score playing classic video games. The top prize will be the popular 1980s’ Gorf arcade game. In addition, Gold Standard Air Hockey will have several free play air hockey tables at the event. Attendees can take part in a “Challenge the Champ” competition featuring a champion air hockey player.
Video game celebrities appearing at the expo include:
- Billy Mitchell, considered by some as the greatest arcade and video game player of all time.
- Richie Knucklez, world record-holder for the classic game Space Invaders.
- Joel West, a Berzerk and Frenzy arcade world record holder.
- Walter Day, founder of Twin Galaxies Arcade in Iowa, and a video game scoring authority and historian.
- Eugene Jarvis, creator and author of Defender, Stargate, Robotron: 2084 and many more games.
- Doc Mack, owner of Galloping Ghost Arcade in Brookfield, Ill., billed as the largest arcade in the world.
In addition, there will more than 250 arcade, video and other coin-operated machines set on free play; vendor areas to purchase arcade machines, parts, publications and DVDs; seminars on video game topics; and an opportunity to visit Galloping Ghost Arcade.
Organizers are looking for arcade and video machines to be a part of the event. For information, contact Jason Kopp at 234 281 5919. Vendors interested in participating can contact Tony Torisk at 330 503 5539. For additional details about the event, including admission fees and registration forms, visit the expo website.
Pictured: Rob Berk, host of the Arcade, Video & Game Room Expo 2016.
Copyright 2022 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.