Youngstown Symphony Orchestra Unveils 2023-24 Season
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – The Youngstown Symphony Orchestra’s 2023-24 season will open with a drag performer as guest artist and close with a concert that includes Valley-based rock band The Vindys.
The season, which was announced today, will have six concerts and include the return of conductor Erik Ochsner in a special holiday performance that will include a screening of the film “Home Alone.”
As the search for a permanent conductor continues, guest conductors will again lead the orchestra in concerts. Two of them will be making their first appearance with the YSO this season.
Past season subscribers will have the first chance to secure their seats as season renewals are now being accepted.
New season subscriptions as well as individual tickets will go on sale July 7 at 10 a.m. at the DeYor Performing Arts Center box office, downtown, and at youngstownsymphony.com.
Season subscriptions include all six concerts, plus free parking at the DeYor and discounted tickets to “The Nutcracker” ballet and Opera Western Reserve’s “Carmen.”
Season subscriptions range from $100 to $220 (plus fees). Individual tickets range from $13 to $63 (plus fees), depending on the concert and pricing tier.
Season underwriting opportunities are available and include program advertising, premium tickets for performances and invitations to exclusive events. For information, contact Marleen Ocheltree, marketing coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 330 747 5175.
The upcoming season is designed to entice new audience members as well as delight its long-standing patrons, according to a press release from the YSO.
Two new guest conductors will take the podium this season: Lawrence Loh (Symphoria) and Francisco Noya (Boston Civic Symphony Orchestra).
Here is the schedule:
- Sept. 21 (Thursday), 7:30 p.m., Powers Auditorium. Thorgy Thor, a classically trained musician and a New York-based drag performance artist, event host, TV personality and professional musician, will be the guest artist. She has played solo violin, viola and cello with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, Symphony Nova Scotia, Charlotte Symphony Orchestra and others. Thorgy will join guest conductor Lawrence Loh and the YSO at this concert.
- Oct. 14 (Saturday), 7:30 p.m., Powers Auditorium. Guest conductor Francisco Noya will lead the YSO in a pops concert full of Latin flair.
- Dec. 22-23, 7:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Powers Auditorium. Celebrate the holiday season with the beloved comedy classic “Home Alone,” featuring a score by composer John Williams. Guest conductor Erik Ochsner will lead the YSO as the film plays on a giant screen.
- Jan. 21 (Sunday), 2024, 2:30 p.m., Stambaugh Auditorium. Guest conductor Loh will lead a Masterworks concert.
- March 10 (Sunday), 2024, 2:30 p.m., Stambaugh Auditorium. Guest conductor Ochsner will lead the YSO in a program, titled “Unknown & Gorgeous: River & Iron,” which draws on connections to Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley while honoring Ochsner’s Finnish American roots.
- April 26 (Friday), 2024, 7:30 p.m., Powers Auditorium. Jackie Popovec and The Vindys, the region’s premier rock band, will perform with accompaniment by the YSO. The concert will mirror one performed earlier this year with the Canton Symphony Orchestra, Popovec said.
Pictured at top: Thorgy Thor will join guest conductor Lawrence Loh and the YSO at a concert on Sept. 21.
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.