Our Towns

Poland Historical Society Books Go on Sale

POLAND, Ohio As part of the celebration of the 220th anniversary of Poland, the Poland Historical Society is printing two books that cover the history of the village and township.

The first, Poland’s Historical Highlights, 1796-1966, is a reproduction of the book written to celebrate the centennial of the incorporation of the village in 1866 – Poland was established in 1802 – while the newer book, Poland’s Historical Highlights, 1966-2016, picks up where the first leaves off.

Both books contain accounts and photographs of the history of Poland submitted by residents. Among them is a piece on Poland Center School, a one-room schoolhouse now home to the society, written by Betty Jones in 2005.

The structure, today known as The Little Red Schoolhouse, was last used as a school in 1915, then as a government office and church, among other purposes, until 1979. The history society entered a 99-year lease with the Poland school district that year and the building remains the only one-room school in the state still owned by a school district.

The history books can be purchased at Trolio’s T-Shirts, 35 W. McKinley Way, and at The Village Pantry, 221 S. Main St., as well as by mail at P.O. Box 5052, Poland, OH 44514.

The first book is $10, the sequel $15. Mail orders require an additional $3.50 for shipping and handling.

Pictured: The windows of the original Little Red Schoolhouse building are being restored, says Larry Baughman, president of Poland Historical Society. The $10,545 project is funded by the Ohio History Connection and donations.

Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.