29th Strimbu Bar-B-Que Awards $34K in Scholarships
BROOKFIELD, Ohio — A sell-out crowd of 1,600 people filed into Yankee Lake Ballroom May 2 to enjoy an endless buffet reminiscent of a full-scale Texas barbecue and music from a country-rock star as they honored the late Nick Strimbu Jr.
The event, the 29th Annual Strimbu BBQ, raises funds for the Strimbu Memorial Fund.
Since its inception in 1990, the Strimbu Memorial Fund has provided over $3.3 million in support of academic scholarships, local economic development and charitable organizations. At this year’s event, $34,000 in scholarships were awarded to local high school students, said Jim Grasso, president of the fund.
“The Strimbu Memorial Fund was created to perpetuate the work of the late Nick Strimbu Jr., who had a passion for leading individuals and economic development agencies in order to attract, assist and retain the industrial base of the valley,” said Grasso. “In addition, when the Strimbu Memorial Fund awards scholarships to area students, we are investing in the life of a person—and that is worth millions.”
The Strimbu BBQ was catered by Jeffrey Chrystal Catering, Youngstown, and featured country-rock star Chris Higbee.
Silent and live auctions were conducted. Among the many unique items were a Sea-Doo Spark, a Lake Erie fishing trip, a John Deere TS 2018 Gator, a Roxor by Mahindra, travel packages, a John Deere 2540M Zero Turn Mower and golf packages.
This year, the fund awarded 12 $2,000 and one $10,000 college scholarships to local high school seniors. Those receiving scholarships and the sponsors that provided the funding are:
- Badger High School: Jennifer Greskovich sponsored by Custom Coating & Miller Livestock.
- Brookfield High School: Nicholas Varga, the Kirila Family Fund
- Farrell High School: Amira McLean, AIM National Lease
- Greenville High School: Lisbeth Toy, Chubb & HDH Group
- Hickory High School: James Gulla, Matune/Basile Advisors
- Hubbard High School: Zachary Resatar, Truck World, Inc.
- Kennedy Catholic High School: Sonny Mancino, National Interstate Insurance
- Lakeview (Ohio) High School: Alana Hovance , The Whetstone Family & Toyota of Warren
- Mathews High School: Kira Bowman, Governor Insurance
- Reynolds High School: Kaisa Morgan, Reynolds Services, Inc.
- Sharon High School: Madeleine Songer, Flynn’s Tires
- Sharpsville High School: Ryan Whalen, Grandy Family in memory of Gary “Gus” Grandy
- West Middlesex High School: Rachel DeStefano, Primary Health Charitable Foundation
The $10,000 scholarship winner was Jennifer Greskovich from Badger High School. The scholarship was provided by Steel Dynamics.
The 30th Annual Strimbu Memorial Fund BBQ is scheduled for Wednesday, May 1, 2019.
Copyright 2022 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.