$36K in Scholarships Awarded at Strimbu Barbecue
BROOKFIELD, Ohio — More than 1,600 people crowded into Yankee Lake Ballroom Wednesday to enjoy an endless buffet reminiscent of a full-scale Texas barbecue and music from a country/rock band as they honored the late Nick Strimbu Jr.
The event, the 28th Annual Strimbu Bar-B-Que, raises funds for the Strimbu Memorial Fund. First National Bank was the major sponsor of the event.
Since its inception in 1990, the Strimbu Memorial Fund has provided over $3 million in support of academic scholarships, local economic development and charitable organizations. At this year’s event, $36,000 in scholarships were awarded to local high school students, said Jim Grasso, president of the fund.
“The Strimbu Memorial Fund was created to perpetuate work of Nick Strimbu Jr., who had a passion for leading individuals and economic development agencies in order to attract, assist and retain the industrial base of the valley,” said Grasso. “When the Strimbu Memorial Fund awards scholarships to area students, we are investing in the life of a person—and that is worth millions.”
The barbecue was catered by Jeffrey Chrystal Catering, Youngstown, and featured Southern Detour, which played everything from Johnny Cash and Luke Bryan to Led Zeppelin and Buck Cherry.
Silent and live auctions were conducted. Among the many unique items were a Sea-Doo Spark, a Lake Erie fishing trip, a John Deere Gator, a Cam-Am Commander UTV, a ride on a B-17 Bomber, travel packages and tickets to the Steelers home opener.
This year, the fund awarded 13 $2,000 and one $10,000 college scholarships to local high school seniors. Those receiving scholarships and the sponsors that provided the funding are:
- Brookfield High School: Samantha Neral, scholarship sponsored by Kirila Family Fund
- Farrell High School: Damian Lowe, the Basilone Family Fund
- Greenville High School: David Shannon, Chubb & HDH Group
- Hickory High School: Jenna Reda, Matune/Basile Advisors
- Hubbard High School: Jessica Wylie, Truck World, Inc.
- John F. Kennedy Catholic High School:Joseph Sidoti, Ted & Gina Bloom & Incredible Solutions
- Joseph Badger High School: Alexandria Pykare, Custom Coating & Miller Livestock
- Kennedy Catholic High School: Rachel Ritz, National Interstate Insurance
- Lakeview (Ohio) High School: Haylee Mathews, the Whetstone Family & Toyota of Warren
- Mathews High School: Kenny Wallace, Governor Insurance
- Reynolds High School: Kiernan Coburn, Reynolds Services, Inc.
- Sharon High School: Gryphon Johnson, Flynn’s Tires
- Sharpsville High School: Christian Herrmann, Grandy Family in memory of Gary “Gus” Grandy
- West Middlesex High School: Alex Palmer, Primary Health Charitable Foundation
The $10,000 scholarship winner was Haylee Mathews from Lakeview High School.
The $500 essay award winner, funded by the Angelo and Jenny Mastrian Charitable Trust, was Kiernan Coburn of Reynolds High School.
The 29th Annual Strimbu Memorial Fund BBQ is scheduled for Wednesday, May 2, 2018.
Copyright 2018 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to our print edition and sign up to our free daily headlines.