9 Ohio Companies Finalists for BWC Awards
COLUMBUS – The Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation today announced nine Ohio employers are semi-finalists in the annual Safety Innovations Competition, which recognizes employers that implement innovative solutions to reduce the risk of workplace injuries and illnesses.
A panel of safety, ergonomics and industrial hygiene specialists from the BWC Division of Safety and Hygiene selected the nine semi-finalists after reviewing applications from employers across Ohio. They scored the applications on the several criteria, including risk reduction, innovativeness, cost savings and potential impact.
The finalists include:
- Ashland Inc. , Dublin (Franklin County) for its ergonomics Kaizen process.
- AWP Inc., Kent (Portage County) for its contractor grade bedslide.
- City of Cuyahoga Falls, Cuyahoga Falls (Summit County) for its underground cable puller.
- Cooper Farms Feed & Animal, Fort Recovery (Mercer County) for its hog loader.
- Midmark Corp., Versailles (Darke County) for its automatic guided carts.
- Northcoast Recycling Specialists, Wickliffe (Lake County) for its hydraulic core stripper
- Nucor Steel Marion Inc., Marion (Marion County) for its r-factor rolling process.
- Tri America Contractors Inc., Wheelersburg (Scioto County) for its pipe fabrication transporter.
- Whitacre Greer Co., Alliance (Stark County) for its bin area material feed air cannons.
BWC specialists will visit the semi-finalists to further evaluate the innovations and five finalists will be selected to attend the BWC Safety Congress and Expo March 9-10 at the Columbus Convention Center, where they will present their innovations to a panel of independent judges.
Cash prizes ranging from $1,000 to $6,000 will be awarded to five finalists based on the judges’ scoring. Conference attendees determine the recipient of the $1,000 People’s Choice award.
Copyright 2022 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.