Butler Institute Opens 77th Area Artists Exhibition Sunday
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio — The Butler Institute of American Art presents its 77th Area Artists Annual exhibition beginning Sunday, Feb. 22, and running through March 29.
The exhibition will be seen in the MacIntosh and Hynes-Finnegan Galleries on the museum’s second level. Works by artists in all media who reside in Mahoning, Trumbull, and Columbiana counties in Ohio, as well as Mercer and Lawrence counties in Pennsylvania, are eligible for this annual juried show. Exhibition juror this year was regional painter and teacher Steven McCallum.
A meet-the-artist event will occur Sunday from 1-3 pm. This free event is open to the public but reservations are required by calling 330 743 1107, ext. 210.
This year 236 items were submitted by 125 artists. McCallum selected 89 items by 54 artists. The winners of the top prizes are:
- Best in Show, Allan Charles Orr (Youngstown);
- First Prize, Gary Taneri (Warren);
- Second Prize, Robert Begala (Canfield);
- Third Prize, David Belgrad (Canfield);
- Robert Yalch Memorial Award, Lotte Herwig-Ernhardt (New Wilmington, PA);
- Juror’s Special Mention, Mark Scheuring (Salem).
Honorable Mentions were awarded to:
- Rebecca Hawkins (Columbiana);
- Nancy Hawkins (Columbiana);
- Christopher Duncan (Beloit);
- Ian Wade (Kinsman);
- Roy Passerelli (Poland); Ross Mazzupappa (Poland);
- Stacey Hogue (Grove City, Pa.).
Pictured: “Easter Sunday” by Gary Taneri of Warren.
Copyright 2022 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.