Mercy Health Foundation Awards $87K in Scholarships
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – Mercy Health Foundation Mahoning Valley awarded $87,250 in scholarships to 47 area nursing students for the 2018 to 2019 academic year.
Scholarships were awarded to Mercy Health employees and members of their immediate families pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree of science in nursing, as well as to those pursuing an associate’s degree in nursing at Mercy College of Northwest Ohio, St. Elizabeth campus.
“Providing scholarships to students who want to advance their skills as caregivers not only helps them to achieve their dreams, but more important, helps to improve the care we provide our patients,” said Paul Homick Jr., president of the Mercy Health Foundation Mahoning Valley.
This is the 21st year Mercy Health Foundation presented scholarships to nursing students. Since its inception the program has collectively awarded nearly $1.2 million in scholarships to Mahoning Valley students, Mercy Health employees and their families.
Recipients of named scholarships are:
- Danielle Green of Youngstown, The Mercy Rose Creedon Scholarship.
- Courtney Kavalos of Mercer, Pa., Father Shori Mercy College Scholarship.
- Ernie Roth of Canfield, The Agnes and Joseph D’Orio Scholarship.
- Kara Totten of Warren, Florence Burke Scholarship.
- Richard Morrow of Poland, Dr. Chander Kohli Family Scholarship.
- Jessica Hoffman of Volant, Pa., Kay Hunt Scholarship.
- Breanna Keener of Struthers, Joanne Salreno of Girard and Gabriella Yargo of Campbell, Italian Scholarship League Awards.
- Cari Iwanejko of West Middlesex, Pa., Brooke Kalitich of Boardman, Joellen Miller of Leetonia and Senka Pavetic of Boardman, John and Lillian Newman Nursing Scholarships.
- Danette Large of Boardman, St. Elizabeth Auxiliary Scholarship.
- José Esparra of Youngstown, Patrick McAllen of Canfield and Ensley Thomas of Warren, Wolves Club Scholarships.
- Ensley Thomas of Warren, Men in Nursing Scholarship.
- Matthew Kovarik of Warren, Dr. William J. Timmins Jr. Scholarship.
- Alisha Fata of Salem, Mercy College of Ohio Scholarship.
- Michelle Klucher of Boardman, Magnet Scholar.
Recipients of Mercy Health Foundation scholarships are:
- Mattie Addicott of Warren.
- Caitlin Beil of Girard.
- Julie Braun of Warren.
- Alexandra Butta of Youngstown.
- Luz Castillo of Youngstown.
- Kristina Delco of Campbell.
- Erin Dean of Youngstown.
- Loubens Delice of Youngstown.
- Beth Earles of Canfield.
- Alisha Fata of Salem.
- Caitlin Fee of Boardman.
- Jenna Gibson of Canfield.
- Sylvie Gratz of Mineral Ridge.
- Danielle Green of Youngstown.
- LuAnn Harsha of Lisbon.
- Michaela Huber of Hubbard.
- Paige Jenkins of Salem.
- Jennifer Karsti of Canfield.
- Courtney Kavalos of Mercer, Pa.
- Brenna Keener of Struthers.
- Michelle Klucher of Boardman.
- Leah Krohn of Boardman.
- Jo Ann Lipscomb of Columbiana.
- Joanie Martinelli of Austintown.
- Alexis Miller of Berlin Center.
- Joseph Odonkor of Youngstown.
- David Onder of Cortland.
- Susan Pusateri of Boardman.
- Nicole Rodomsky of Girard.
- Ernie Roth of Canfield.
- Vincenzo Sferra of Hubbard.
- Jessica Tedesco of Youngstown.
- Kara Totten of Warren.
- Lori Woolley of Mineral Ridge.
Pictured: Dr. Chander M. Kohli and his wife, Karen, presented the Dr. Chander Kohli Family Scholarship to Richard Morrow, a registered nurse at St. Elizabeth Youngstown hospital, during the annual Mercy Health Foundation Nursing Scholarship dinner. Paul Homick Jr., president, Mercy Health Foundation Mahoning Valley, presided over the event and congratulated all 47 scholarship recipients.
Copyright 2020 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to our print edition and sign up to our free daily headlines.