Outdoor Channel Fishing Series Features Local Lakes
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio — The Outdoor Channel will broadcast the Major League Fishing’s Bass Pro Shops Challenge Select Series episodes filmed in the Youngstown area starting Saturday at 2 p.m. Six episodes will be broadcast on consecutive Saturdays featuring five lakes in the Mahoning Valley.
Twenty-four Major League Fishing anglers spent nine days in the area last July filming this event. The anglers competed to earn spots in the Major League Fishing Challenge Cup.
Competing anglers were not permitted to practice at or research fishing venues. They were chauffeured by boat officials to their daily fishing sites and were not told locations until they reached a staging area.
“This event gave us an incredible opportunity to put Youngstown and Mahoning County in the national broadcast spotlight,” said Linda Macala, executive director of the Mahoning County Conventino & Visitors Bureau.
The bureau was a sponsor of the event and helped arrange lodging and dining options for the group, plus worked with producers to film video highlights that will showcase Mahoning County. The 24 anglers gathered on the deck of historic Lanterman’s Mill for a group shot, which will be seen on all of the broadcasts.
“The cast and crew really enjoyed themselves, and in particular, raved about the wonderful food offerings. The hospitality extended by lodging and dining partners was exceptional, and the group really felt at home here,” Macala said. “Some of the anglers brought their families along, and they loved being in a metropolitan area with plenty of activities for their children to enjoy. Handel’s Ice Cream became one of their favorite end-of-day spots.”
The broadcast schedule for the episodes follows:
- Challenge Select qualifying round 1 (Mosquito Lake) – April 2 at 2 p.m. (rebroadcast April 3 at 4 p.m. and April 7 at 9 a.m.)
- Challenge Select qualifying round 2 (Lake Milton) – April 9 at 2 p.m. (rebroadcast April 10 at 4 p.m. and April 14 at 9 p.m.)
- Challenge Select qualifying round 3 (Mosquito Lake) – 4/16/16 at 2 p.m. (rebroadcast April 17 at 4 p.m. and April 21 at 9 p.m.)
- Challenge Select qualifying round 4 (Lake Milton) – April 23 at 2 p.m. (rebroadcast April 24 at 4 p.m. and April 28 at 9 p.m.)
- Challenge Select survival round 1 (Evans Lake) – April 30 at 2 p.m. (rebroadcast May 1 at 4 p.m. and May 5 at 9 p.m.)
- Challenge Select survival round 2 (Pine Lake) – April 7 at 2 p.m. (rebroadcast April 8 at 4 p.m. and April 12 at 9 p.m.)
Pictured: The 24 Major League Fishing anglers who competed Bass Pro Shops Challenge Select Series visited several area venues, including Lanterman’s Mill in Mill Creek MetroParks.
Copyright 2023 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.