Summer Festival of the Arts Tops Busy Weekend
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio — Get ready for a busy weekend on and around the Youngstown State University campus as the annual Summer Festival of the Arts and several other events kick off this week.
The 19th annual YSU Summer Festival of the Arts is July 8 and 9. Saturday’s hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday hours 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. An opening ceremony including a color guard from the Youngstown Air Reserve Base and remarks by YSU President Jim Tressel begins at 10 a.m. Saturday by the Kilcawley Center Fountain. Admission to the festival is free.
The heart of the festival is the artists’ marketplace that showcases the work of more than 75 local, regional and national artists selling original, hand-crafted pieces such as jewelry, paintings, sketches, sculptures, glass, wood and textiles.
Family activities include the popular hands on art tent. Dozens of music, theater and dance performances are also scheduled, and the festival features the Festival of Nations.
“This year’s quality of artwork is exceptional,” said Lori A. Factor, festival director. “Visitors will be able to purchase unique items that are handcrafted by working artists, and in some cases see the artistic process unfold. In addition, the lineup of performers will appeal to everyone, while the abundance of cultural groups presenting their information captures the essence of how rich our arts and creative community is.”
Wick Avenue is under construction, so visitors are advised to approach YSU from the north or south along Fifth Avenue to park in any surface lot, or from the south using Wick Avenue right to East Wood Street, left to North Champion Street, right on East Rayen Street and left on Walnut Street to access the back entrance of the Wick Avenue parking deck. GPS directions are 100 E. Wade Street Youngstown OH 44502. In addition, the Lincoln Avenue parking deck is closed for upgrades.
Other events this weekend include:
- The St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church Summerfest, Thursday through Sunday at 220 N. Walnut St. The event includes live music and dancing, Greek food and pastries, and a display of cultural memorabilia. Hours are: Thursday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; and Sunday noon to 6 p.m. Take out lunch service is available on Thursday and Friday. Admission is free.
- All AmeriCon 2017 Comic Convention, Saturday and Sunday at the Covelli Center. The show is presented by All American Cards & Comics and includes comics, art and cosplay. Admission is $10 per day.
- Friday night concert July 7 at Central Square downtown featuring the Fabulous Flashbacks. Doors open at 6:30. Tickets are $10 and available at the gate.
- Youngstown Wine and Jazz, Saturday; doors open at 6:30 p.m. The stage will be set up in the middle of Wick Avenue near the Central Square. Tickets are $10 each and available at the Covelli Center Box Office, at www.ticketmaster.com or at the gate. Featured artist is keyboardist Alex Bugnon.
- 2 DE Gospel Fest, Sunday at Central Square downtown, headlined by Israel Houghton & New Breed. Tickets $20, $40 and $60 and may be purchased online at 2DeepEvents.com or via phone at 330 953 3340.
Copyright 2017 The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.
Published by The Business Journal, Youngstown, Ohio.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to our print edition and sign up to our free daily headlines.